Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sustaining Maker Culture: Mindset or Money?

What does it take for maker culture to work in the classroom? Is it just a matter of changing your mindset? Or is project funding a requirement? The answer is: "It depends on the project."

Lisa Yokana makes the point in her article "Capture the Learning: Crafting the Maker Mindset" that some creative maker projects don't require expensive materials, maybe just paper and crayons. On the other hand some projects do require extra funding. For example, I funded a classroom hydroponics project on Donorschoose.org last year that I would not have been able to do otherwise.

This was a good experience for me under the circumstances and I would do it again given specific project needs. But I am also interested in designing maker projects that are more integrated in to my curriculum. This year I will focus on projects that can be completed with minimal funding using existing resources and virtual tools.

In his article on EdSurge.com, Aaron Vanderwerff categorizes maker projects in three ways: open-ended student-driven projects, integrating making in to curriculum, and making-focused curriculum. I would like to focus on integrating making in to more of my curriculum because I think it will be more sustainable in the long term and it will help me add more creativity in to my lesson planning.

One idea in this article is to integrate LOGO programming in to the Geometry curriculum. I will use this in my Geometry class next Fall as a way to start the year with maker culture. I enjoy introducing students to programming and have had success with self-paced tutorial like Codehs.org and Khan Academy's animation series.

While I believe in open-ended student-driven projects I have found that many of my students just need more structure to be successful. I also think a maker-focused curriculum  could be feasible in an elective class at our school, but it will require time and working with the administration to plan a course solely around maker culture. For now I am going to hold off on the big ticket projects and work on integrating making.


5 comments:

  1. David,
    I share many of your thoughts and I think we may have a similar, practical approach towards making in the classroom. For instance, I like how you say that the answer to the question of "mindset or money" is that it "depends on the project." I also agree that open-ended projects can be difficult with students who require some amount of structure to be successful.
    I am wondering, with your experience in programming, why you would choose to use LOGO, specifically?
    Thanks for sharing!
    -I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isaac,

      I don't have experience with LOGO. My interest in it is that it looks good for teaching Geometry concepts and I have a Geometry class scheduled in the Fall.

      Delete
  2. David,
    it's clear that you know your students' needs and are approaching the implementation of making with experience and the idea of sustainability in mind. Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, I have it in my notes to look at LOGO for my Geometry class as well. I'm going to need to jump into it and find my way around before using it in the classroom. It looks like it would be a great resource to link with what we will be learning in class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed, it takes some prep to create a workable plan!

      Delete