Friday, June 24, 2016

Social Media: Friend or Foe? (Blog 1 AKTVLC)

To a certain extent new technologies create chaos and panic in society. This has been well documented in such works as Hamlet's Blackberry, by William Powers, where the author goes back to early technologies like the written word, and the printing press to examine the potential positive uses of technology in a time of overwhelm. In my opinion technology is neither friend nor foe, but requires adaptations in our thinking and behavior that are not always easy.

The article from Education World cites a study that stresses the benefits of using social media to engage students in collaborative learning: http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/study-suggests-social-media-has-place-in-classrooms.shtml. I agree that student interaction is a primary value in student academic success. Certainly social media offers many fantastic ways to engage students to collaborate in new ways. The article emphasizes the need to implement the new techniques with specific measurable goals that tie in to the curriculum, and then to update acceptable use policies in the school.

It is important, especially with younger students, to create an open structure with definite ground rules and boundaries. Social media in the classroom has often been demonized due to the outrageous acts of a few students while most students are willing to use it responsibly as a learning tool given the opportunity and proper instruction.

I am very interested in Dr. Lee Graham's experience with using Minecraft as a Virtual Learning community for classrooms all over the country and I will follow her with an eye toward the possibility of participating with some of my students in the Fall. I can see that in this type of a controlled environment I might engage my students to work together.

I am quite interested in using Twitter and Facebook as virtual learning tools, but our district is not yet open to that so I will use those media for my own research and connection, both professionally and personally. One area where social media such as blogs or online forums is of great interest to me for my older students is as a space to allow for more reflection on learning. In my experience students first tend want to do the minimum requirement and forget it. Having a forum for student reflection and comments is a fairly safe and friendly way to engage social media.

4 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    I'd be interested in seeing how your students engage with Dr. Graham's Minecraft projects. It's a really unique experience. How might you use social media to sustain making in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4GaN7JYqoBk/UXXiyauwpMI/AAAAAAAABLY/jPxoQibDT-8/s1600/THINK.png
    https://youtu.be/bdQBurXQOeQ
    I've used Minecraft to teach technology and curricular content for the last two years-being Lee's student will do that to you! Just look at what happened to Nicole! :) and I've learned you have to set up classroom expectations for your virtual social world just like you would for your physical room. Gaming and social media work even with little guys if they know that it's not a free-for-all. I tell my kids all the time "When we are using MinecraftEDU at school, you are not PLAYING Minecraft. You are learning in the Minecraft Classroom." You don't have to be a great Minecrafter or gamer or Tweeter to set up good boundaries and enforce them. I'm so excited to see what you do next..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to hear as well about your experience with Minecraft... being an online teacher as you I am curious to know more about this application.
    On a different tone, I would not use Facebook with my students at least, becuase based on the feedback I have received from most of them, they do not really use it anymore, but what they use instead id Twitter, Snapchat and Instogram. Facebook is OBSOLETE for them... LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also interested in learning more about using Minecraft in the classroom. I hear many of my student talking about it, but have little exposure to it myself.

    ReplyDelete